Green Chile Bacon Habanero Mac and Cheese Recipe
Today you need a tasty recipe to help make your day spicier.
Fortunately for you this green chile bacon habanero mac and cheese recipe turned out perfect on the first try!
First I will give you the recipe EXACTLY as I made it, then I will make some suggestions on changes that could be made.
- 6-10 Slices Cooked Bacon, Chopped
- 1 Tsp Garlic
- 1/2 Cup Minced Onion
- 1 1/2 Sticks Butter
- 3 Cups Milk
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Tsp Green Chile Powder
- 3 Cups shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
- 3 Cups shredded Habanero Cheddar Cheese
- 3-6 New Mexico Chiles, Roasted, Chopped, Seeded and Rinsed
- 1 lb Large Elbow Macaroni
- 1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs
- Cook bacon, set aside bacon fat.
- Saute onion and garlic in bacon fat in a large skillet until onion is tender.
- Heat milk over medium heat in a sauce pan. While milk is heating, add butter to garlic and onion.
- When butter is completely melted and begins to bubble, add flour and whisk until well mixed.
- Pour warm (not boiling) milk into butter, whisk until thick.
- Reduce to low heat and add salt, black pepper, and green chile powder. Mix well and simmer for 5 minutes to marry flavors.
- Boil macaroni until al dente. Preheat oven to 375.
- Add 3 cups of habanero cheddar, 2 1/2 cups of pepper jack cheese, and the chopped New Mexico chiles to sauce. Mix well and remove from heat.
- Spray 9×13 casserole pan with cooking spray. Place drained pasta in pan then pour cheese sauce over the top. If cheese sauce is too thick, mix gently with whisk.
- Sprinkle pasta mix with bread crumbs, bacon pieces, and remaining 1/2 cup of pepper jack cheese.
- Bake until brown and bubbling. Approximately 30 minutes.
- Cayenne powder can be substituted for green chile powder.
- Habanero cheddar makes this dish VERY SPICY! Feel free to substitute sharp cheddar or pepper jack.
- Bacon makes it better! Use 1 lb of bacon. Add 1/2 lb to the sauce with the New Mexico chiles, and 1/2 lb on top.